Group Leader: Professor Angel Rubio
- +34-94301 8292 / (CSIC) 8818
- angel [dot] rubio [at] ehu [dot] es
Distinguish professor at the Materials Science Department UPV /EHU, San Sebastián
Vice-president for Scientific Development ETSF - European Theoretical Spectroscopy Facility (2008-2014)
Professor Rubio has an excellent publication record: more than 300 publications with more than 25000 citations (Hirsch index 82) related to theory and modeling of electronic and structural properties in condensed matter and on developing novel theoretical tools to investigate the electronic response of solids, nanostructures, biomolecules and hybrid materials to external electromagnetic fields. His research activity is internationally recognized and he has received numerous honours and awards. Among them are
- Medal of the Spanish Royal Physical Society, Madrid, December 2016
- Professor , University of Hamburg, (2016-)
- Member of the Academia Europaea (2016)
- JSPS Invitation Fellow Program for Research in Japan, (Apr-2016)
- European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant (2016-2021) (QSpec-NewMat)
- Faculty member of the Wolfgang Pauli Centre, Hamburg (2015-)
- XV Manuel Laborde Werlinden Prize the best technology-based business initiative based on innovative ideas: “Materials Evolution" (2015)
- Premio Rey Jaime I de Investigación Básica (2014)
- Foreign Associate member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (2014) (link)
- Miller Visiting Professor, University of California at Berkeley (August-September 2014)
- External Scientific Member of the Fritz-Haber-Institute of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, (Nov. 2011-to date)
- European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant 2011-2016 (DYNamo)
- Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Fritz Haber Institute der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Berlin (2009-2011)
- Fellow of the American Association for Advanced Science (AAAS) Physics Section (2010)
- American Physical Society "Outstanding Referee", 2009.
- Invited Professor (1ere Classe de Professeurs des Universites), Université Montpellier 2, France, 2007.
- XVI Dupont Prize in Nanotechnology, Dupont Spain, 2006.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award, Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 2005.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, Materials Science Division, 2004.
- Sir Allan Sewell Fellowship School of Science, Griffith University, Australia, 2004.
- Salvador de Madariaga Fellow, 2000-1.
- JSPS Invitation Fellow Program for Research in Japan, 2001.
- Fulbright Fellow, 1992-94.
- Royal Spanish Physical Society Prize "Jovenes Investigadores" Madrid, Spain. July, 1992.
- Honor Prize for the best Ph.D. Thesis in Physics, University of Valladolid, Spain, June 1992.
- 1st National Prize for Graduated in Physics, October 25, 1989.